Thursday, October 22, 2009

random thursday on....Thursday! Wow!

I have dishes to do, a sickle to make, a costume to finish, and a sister to pick up at the dentist office, as soon as she calls.
But all of that pales in comparison to actually making this uber-flexible deadline.
I began a new batch of sourdough starter on Sunday. It starts with rye flour and water, and goes from there. I just did the third refresh about half an hour ago, and my little dough balls (one for home, one for work) are already beginning to rise. Yeast and I play well together.
The chocolate and I.....well. It seems to be back in the 'on' phase of our on-again/off-again relationship. Mostly. At least I'm not the only one having the same problem.
I am seriously considering further my education and broadening my options by attending culinary school. I'm leaning toward Cook Street (short commute, short intense program, month in France & Italy, lots of wine....). I'm searching for grants, because I really don't want to take on a massive amount of debt. If you know of grants for middle-aged, childless women (doesn't Obama want us to better ourselves too? Why just "Obama wants moms to go back to school" ads?) please let me know.
The roofing saga continues. 2 sections of the new shingles need to be replaced. At the company's expense. The gutter guys mistakenly put gutters on the garage. We get to keep them. At the company's expense. So...yay.
I have about a dozen or so iris bulbs to plant. I keep waiting for that magical combination of good weather, a day off and feeling well. Saturday or possibly tomorrow afternoon may be that day.
The Witches Ball is Saturday night. I have finally decided to go. (Yes I made a costume. Just for fun. It was my Artist's Way project this week). I was invited to participate in the opening ritual, but declined. Najah told me the planning meeting got a bit contentious, what with people trying to blend various pagan traditions, taking exception to certain words and making assumptions about other people's practice. Glad I missed that.
Project Runway tonight - I think the only reason Logan is still on the show is because he's pretty. If he was plain or homely, he'd be long gone.

2 comments:

Bridgete said...

Hmm, well, I'm not eligible for any grants for law school, but that's because it's grad school. I feel like culinary school is technically something more equivalent to getting a bachelor's degree, so you may be eligible for a Pell Grant or something. Fill out a FAFSA, that at least gets you started with what you can get from the government. I'd also suggest checking fastweb.com, it's this scholarship database thing, it tells you about all sorts of stuff you can try for, usually you just need to write an essay or something. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Mmmm, bread :-]

I agree with Bridgete, there must be something out there for students who are returning to school a little later in life. This article has got a few tips you might be able to check out:
Link: http://www.ehow.com/about_5506471_grants-returning-students.html
If the link is too long to show it all

Oh & BTW...You my dear are not middle aged however so knock that off! 'Cuz if you are then I'm right behind you and I refuse to believe it lol.