Monday, April 20, 2009

Dawn at the Crossroads



The crescent moon was in the east
a soft golden-red light on the horizon
the moon is rising late, or very very early
but there is something magical about the moon and the sun sharing space
In the clear light of the new day
with Puppy beside me
I stand in the center of the deserted intersection
for all its mundane appearance
it's still a crossroads
The neighborhood dogs are howling
As I turn my back to the rising sun
and throw the water over my shoulder
We walk away without looking back
leaving what isn't wanted behind us.
It's still in that place of not quite dark
not quite light
and the birds are stirring
as we head home
toward the east
the still-bare trees are black against the sky
and on the branches is the shadow of a squirrel
watching the crescent moon.

2 comments:

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Kate this is awesome, so visually intense. This especially grabbed me:

We walk away without looking back leaving what isn't wanted behind usBeautiful.

disabled account said...

awe-some. i said good day.