Monday, February 23, 2009

Defending My Honor



Today I learned that recently several people have come into the shop and accused us of purchasing our truffles from other chocolatiers. And from Whole Foods. I wrote these people off as ignorant. Yes, there are some molds that we have in common. Given that a finite variety of molds are manufactured, it's inevitable that cool and attractive molds will be used by more than one chocolatier. It's the fillings that sets us apart; it's what's inside that counts. We do not now, nor have we ever, purchased truffles from our competitors.
But today, Chef told me that someone came into the shop and told the counter person that we obviously bought our cakes from Gateaux and were trying to pass them off as our own. As the person who makes most of our cakes, this idiotic notion insults my craftsmanship, my professional pride and my personal and our company honor. For about twenty minutes, a righteous smiting seemed like a reasonable option. I considered adding twit-en-brochette to the menu. ( that's fancy for ninny on a skewer).
I have nothing against Gateaux. They do beautiful work. Beautiful work that is completely different from anything that we do at Wen. In a twisted, nit-wit kind of way, I suppose it's a compliment, although it clearly was not intended as such.
It's a few hours later. I can see the funny side of it. I no longer want to run the impugners through with the point of my sword. I'd be happy just spanking them with the flat of it.

5 comments:

disabled account said...

"I'd be happy just spanking them with the flat of it." ~ i'd buy a ticket to watch that!

idgits...do the shop kids at least defend you?

Unknown said...

Yes, its always what is inside that counts. An excellent lesson on life in general :)

Bridgete said...

I'm with Ginger, I'd love to see a sound spanking with the flat of a sword.

Jenn's right too. =)

Bree said...

What was it that Ben Franklin said? "Beware of stupid people in large groups"? sounds like a fine example of people who need to think before they speak.

And seriously, sell tickets to the spanking. I'll fly in from Idaho for the show. :)

wv: mutmen. Obviously the group of people you are dealing with. :)

Unknown said...

am I guaranteed that spanking if I appear and say something foolish ?? ;-P