Thursday, July 8, 2010

O Frabjous Day!

There is something about holding the actual book that is so much more real than looking at the ebook pdf or the endless Word document. Seeing my name in print on the shiny cover is seductive. It makes me think of possibilities and reminds me of childhood dreams abandoned long ago.
I signed up for NaNoWriMo on a whim. (Thanks, Jenn!) Characters who had been living a half-life in my head came rushing out onto the pages. They got on my nerves sometimes, when they'd do unplanned things, wander off, appear out of nowhere, or change genders or species. The goal of writing 50,000 words in 30 was just crazy enough to be exhilarating.
I didn't know about the 'prize' when I started. One of the Nanoites told me about it at a write-in. Six months seemed like plenty of time to rewrite the book into something worth printing. It might have been, if I had been as focused as I was during the month of November. But for assorted reasons, many of them having to do with laziness, procrastination and unemployment, most of the rewriting happened in the last thirty days. I may be a bit of an adrenaline junkie. Instead of jumping out of planes or off of bridges, I write against a crazy deadline.
There's still a lot of rewriting to be done. Scenes need to be fleshed out, characters need to be developed, and I'm sure that there are some gaping plot holes waiting to be filled. But right now, I feel good. There's a 300 page book in my hands, and I wrote it.

5 comments:

disabled account said...

And I'm proud of you!! I haven't read any yet because I'm bad about that, but I'm gonna! I think I need to just print it out so I can read it at home. I really can't wait!!

Bridgete said...

Hooray! That's so cool. =)

Unknown said...

write on Kate.....its something to laud !!

Unknown said...

Kate - thanks for showing us the real meaning of "thoughts become things". Congratulations!!

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Yeah baby! Its coming with me (on my hard drive) to Martha's Vineyard next week so I plan to get through it on vacation, I can not wait to dedicate the time to your novel that it truly deserves! Congratulations, you are officially a Novelist :-) Could not be more proud or excited for you! <3